Tucked away on Marlborough Gate, beside St. James’ Palace, is this dreamy (but not necessarily in a pleasant way) Art Nouveau memorial to Queen Alexandra, long-suferring wife of King Edward VII.
Commissioned in 1926, the memorial was sculpted by Alfred Gilbert, who created the famous statue of Eros on Picadilly Circus.
The memorial is set into the garden wall of Marlborough House, once Queen Alexandra’s London home. Cast in bronze and finished in blackened enamel, the statue has a ghostly, neo-Gothic apperance. The Queen is seated behind allegorical figures representing faith, hope and charity.