The Gates were erected in 1872. The side gates have the letters ICRV, which stand for the Inns of Court Rifle Volunteers. The Inns originally raised a body of troops in 1584 to defend the country against a threatened invasion from Spain. They had various names and in 1859, shortly after the Crimean War, they became the 23rd Middlesex (Inns of Court) Rifle Volunteer Corps. Lt Col Brewster was the first commandant of the ICRV and his name is on the central panel. In their current form, their headquarters is to the northeast of the Lincoln’s Inn site at 10 Stone Buildings.